- The seven continents are the seven main land areas on the Earth. Some are joined to each other, and some are completely surrounded by water. Some continents have a lot of countries, but others have only a few.
- It is believed that in past ,all continents were joined, this land area was called Pangaea .This area started to break up & got divided into 7 parts ,so today we have 7 continents .These continents are still moving away or moving close to each other. This is called continental drift or plate tectonics theory. For example Europe & North America are said to be moving 7 cm apart every year
- It is the largest continent .It covers one-third of earth’s surface.
- It is the home of the 10 highest mountain peaks in the world. Mount Everest , the highest mountain in the world is here only .
- It is the second largest continent.
- It is the home of the Nile ,the longest river in the world.
- It is also the home of the Sahara, the largest desert in the world.
- Australia is the largest island. It is also the smallest continent in the world.
- Do you know before 1840, the Antarctic was called as Terra Australis Incognita (meaning the unknown southern land)?
- Do you know the area of Antarctica continent keeps changing as per seasons!
- Antarctica is a frozen land area around the South Pole.It is also called “Frozen Continent” . Antarctica is the highest, driest, windiest, emptiest, coldest place on earth.
- The water of the Antarctica is so cold that nothing can rot here.
- The coldest natural temperature ever recorded in the world was in Antarctica.
- It was as low as –89.2°C .
- Winters in Antarctica last from May through August.The average winter temperature is -70 degree C in the interior and -30 degree C at the coast.December to February are the summer months here, the average temperature is -35 degree C in the interior and 2 degree C at the coasts.
- Antarctica has no cities, villages or farms.
- During the winter period in South Pole (late March to late September) it is dark all the time, means it is always night!
- In the summer-time , it is light 24 hours a day !
- In Europe , there are no deserts.It is the only continent without any deserts.
- Most of the countries of Europe use a single currency called the Euro.
- North America was named after the explorer Americo Vespucci.
- North America is the only continent that has every kind of climate
- North America has five time zones.
- It is also known as “New World”
- North America is the third-largest continent in area, following Asia and Africa.
- South America is also the home of anaconda,one of the world's largest snakes.
- Also the world's highest lake ,Lake Titicaca is located in South America.It is at the height of 3800 meters.It is the largest lake in South America.
Major languages spoken in South America are Spanish and Portuguese.
- Brazil, a country in South America, is the largest producer of coffee in the world.